Sitting Exercises for Weight Loss
As our modern-day lifestyles have become increasingly sedentary, almost all of us experience aches and pains in the joints. Sitting with proper posture while also straightening our spines helps prevent these aches and pains, as well as helps in weight loss. This blog shares 04 simple sitting exercises for weight loss that you can do regularly to maintain your health and achieve your personal weight loss goals.
Regular exercise is important for our overall health, but it can be not easy to get started if we’re not used to it. Seated exercises are a great way to start an exercise routine since they don’t require any special equipment or setup. Just find a comfortable spot to sit, and you’re ready to go!
There are a variety of seated exercises that you can do, depending on your fitness level. For a beginner, start with some simple stretches. You can also do some gentle leg and arm movements while seated. If you’re more advanced, you can try doing some light weightlifting using dumbbells or resistance bands.
The important thing is to start slow and gradually increase the intensity of your workout as you get used to it. Exercise should be something that makes you feel good, so listen to your body and stop if you feel any pain. Remember to warm up before you start exercising and cool down afterward.
With a little effort, you can easily add seated exercises into your daily routine and reap the many benefits of regular exercise!
Best Four Sitting Exercises for Weight Loss:
1. Seated Russian Twist:
This exercise works the obliques, muscles running along the sides of the waist, as well as the transverse abdominis, the deepest muscle in the abdominal wall. Pull your abs to your spine while sitting on the ground with your knees bent. Lean back a few inches while maintaining a straight back. Hold your hand at your chest, and twist your torso to the right, then to the left to complete one rep. Do 10–12 reps total. Or Do this for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
2. Seated Knee Raise:
If you’re looking to work your quads, glutes, and hamstrings all at once, the seated knee raise is the move for you. This exercise is simple to do and doesn’t require any equipment, making it perfect for a home workout.
- Sit on the ground with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Place your hands on the floor behind you for support.
- Raise your right leg off the ground and bring your knee toward your chest.
- Return to the starting position and repeat with your left leg.
- Do 10-12 reps on each side.
As you get stronger, you can increase the reps or add weight to the move by holding a dumbbell in each hand. This will make the exercise more challenging and help you build muscle.
3. Seated Leg Raise:
The Seated Leg Raise is an excellent exercise for strengthening and improving flexibility in the legs. It is also a low-impact exercise, making it ideal for those new to working out or recovering from an injury. Here is a step-by-step guide to performing the Seated Leg Raise:
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended in front of you.
- Place your hands behind you, on the floor, to support your back.
- Slowly raise one leg off the floor, keeping your thigh parallel to the floor.
- Hold for a count of two, and then lower your leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat with the other leg.
4. Seated Forward Bend:
One of the most common yoga poses is the Seated Forward Bend, which is often used to stretch the hamstrings. For people who spend a lot of time sitting, this pose can be a great way to release tension in the back and legs. The key to a good forward bend is to keep the spine straight and use your breath to deepen the stretch. Here’s how to do it:
- Start in a seated position with your legs extended in front of you.
- Inhale and lengthen your spine.
- Exhale and fold forward from your hips, keeping your spine straight.
- Reach your hands toward your feet and hold onto your ankles or shins.
- Use your breath to deepen the stretch, inhale, and exhale slowly and evenly.
- To release the pose, inhale and come up to a seated position with your spine straight.
Benefits of Sitting Exercises for Weight Loss:
Did you know that these simple seated exercises have various benefits? These exercises are not only great for losing weight, but they can also help improve your posture and flexibility. One of the best things about seated exercises is that they can be done anywhere, anytime. You don’t need any special equipment or a gym membership to do them.
Seated exercises are also ideal for people who are suffering from obesity or overweight. They help to tone your muscles and reduce fat in your body. Another great thing about these exercises is that they help improve your circulation. They also aid in the reduction of tension and anxiety. So, if you are looking for a way to relax and unwind, then these exercises are perfect for you.
So, what are you waiting for? Start doing these simple seated exercises today and see the difference!
Sitting Exercises on Seat:
- Sit on the edge of your seat and lean forward, reaching your arms out in front of you.
- Sit up straight and reach your arms overhead, stretching your back and sides.
- Lean to one side, reaching your arm down toward the floor.
- Lean to the other side, reaching your arm down toward the floor.
- Slouch down in your seat, and then sit up as tall as possible.
- Put one hand on your belly and the other on your chest, and take a deep breath through your nose.
- Exhale slowly through your mouth, making a “ha” sound as you do so.
- Clasp your hands together in front of you and stretch them out as far as you can.
- Interlace your fingers behind your head and stretch your arms back behind you.
- Sit on one hip with your legs crossed, and then switch to the other hip.
- Dynamic Cushion (Balance Disc) can be used for Seat Exercise.
Conclusion; Sitting Exercises for Weight Loss
Sitting down for long periods is not suitable for our health or weight. However, there are some simple exercises that we can do while sitting down that can help us to lose weight. These exercises are easy to do and don’t take up much time, so there’s no excuse to try them!